Saturday, June 16, 2007

Eiffel Tower, 1:30 a.m.

Most of us just hung around the hotel tonight after eating Chinese food in a little hole in the wall restaurant. I was just drinking some kir (I'm making it for you all when I get home - white wine mixed with creme de cassis, or blackcurrant, a delicacy made specifically in Dijon) and watching bits of the Daily Show with some of my classmates ... when right around 1 a.m., my friend Red got a bit antsy. He gets antsy a lot. Many would say he is incredibly impatient. Bored easily. He said he just wanted to go walk around, so I said I'd go because I was bored and wanted to see more of the city. Even though it was the middle of the night. Which it still is. So, we went downstairs and Red decided to ask the night manager people how to get to the Eiffel Tower; check. It was a straight shot from a Metro station right near the hotel. But the Metro also closes down at 1:50 a.m. So, we only had about 45 minutes to go there, see it, and come back before that time.

It was really fun. Yes, I already saw it last week, but it was also fun going with someone who hadn't seen it before. Plus, it looked different. It didn't have the goldish glow to it - it was all bright, sparkly disco lights. I love doing stuff like that. Just totally, completely random, in the middle of the night.

It's 2:50 a.m. now, and we all have to get up early (for real this time) to hit the Louvre (again), the Champs-Elysees, Notre Dame, etc. We've got to get our sightseeing on because we're leaving on Tuesday! Only two more days and then it's back to Oklahoma. It's going to be weird, to say the least ... but no weirder than going to the Eiffel Tower at 1:30 a.m. on a whim.

Jennie

No comments: